WHO WE ARE:
Creative Action is a nationally-recognized youth arts education organization in Austin, Texas. As the largest provider of creative learning programs in Central Texas, we use the arts to activate the academic, social and emotional development of young people. Through interactive classroom performances, after school residencies, and community-based programs, our team of professional teaching artists inspire youth to be creative artists, courageous allies, critical thinkers, and confident leaders in their communities.
WHO WE WANT:
We are looking for a dynamic, collaborative, artist-educator who values creativity and arts experiences for youth, and is interested in supporting access to the arts within schools. This position requires a depth of knowledge and experience with digital media and young people. This person must be excited about partnering with and working in schools to bring arts experiences into the classroom in a way that is culturally responsive, supports academic skill-building and knowledge, and builds Social Emotional Learning (SEL). This candidate must have strong organization and presentation skills, excellent interpersonal skills, the ability to interface with a variety of stakeholders, identify as a creative problem-solver, be flexible, and enjoy working as part of a collaborative, creative team. We seek someone interested in the intersection of any/all forms of digital media (filmmaking, digital stories, photography, design) with real world and academic applications.
The School-Based Associate Program Director will be the Director and Coordinator of Spark Schools, an arts integration model that uses digital media and performing arts to support academic learning in the classroom. Our current partnership is with Lee Lewis Campbell Elementary Media and Performing Arts Institute where we offer two 10-week arts-integrated units through digital media and theatre for all grade levels during the academic year, in addition to a number of other arts enrichment and community engagement opportunities. The Associate Program Director will also be an integral member of the School-Based Department which offers Artist-in-Residence programs at middle and high school levels, and delivers Interactive Performance Residencies across five school districts to an annual average of 9,500 students. As a School-Based team member, this person will support Artist-In-Residence programs, teacher and parent education, and advise on best practices for digital media with and for youth. This job requires travel in and around Austin as necessary to supervise work at Campbell Elementary as well as other potential sites for arts residencies. Some evening and weekend work required.
Direct and Coordinate the Spark Schools Partnership at Campbell Elementary
- Oversee a team of 5 teaching artists offering arts-integrated units through digital media and drama/theatre in collaboration with classroom teachers. Includes supporting rigorous arts projects that address core academic content.
- Teach arts-integrated units in Spark Schools using digital media for PreK – 5th grades
- Support teaching artists and classroom teachers through coaching, observation and meetings
- Offer professional development workshops for classroom teachers and Spark Schools Teaching Artists (TAs) that supports arts integration, teacher-TA collaboration, and whole-child teaching and learning (cultural proficiency and inclusiveness, social emotional learning, etc.)
- Oversee logistics involved in promoting an arts-rich campus at L.L. Campbell Elementary, including: tracking and maintaining extensive digital media hardware and software inventory, regular meetings and coordination with school staff, End of Semester Showcases, First Friday Lunch Concerts, collaboration with the Creative Action Out of School Time program at Campbell, and a variety of community engagement events
Support and lead best practices in digital media arts experiences with youth
- Lead and support rigorous digital media arts integration at Campbell Elementary
- Support development of Artist-In-Residence (AIR) projects using digital media for middle and high school students
- Supervise Artist-In-Residence projects as necessary
- Support and train Creative Action staff in digital media across all Creative Action departments as opportunities arise
Participate in and Support School-Based team
- Collaborate with School-Based team to plan, refine and support any and all new programming including Artist-In-Residence curriculum
- Collaborate on and support workshops and professional development as part of the School-Based Programs department
- Support development of further School-Based programming as opportunities arise
- Experience with digital media in some capacity
- Experience working with youth, particularly ages 4-12
- Experience planning and delivering rigorous arts lessons with young people
- Experience collaborating with others
- Excellent organization skills, responsive communication style, and strong interpersonal skills
- Awareness of racial and social inequities and how they impact schools
- Arts integration – teaching core academic content through the arts
- Working in schools and/or partnering with teachers
- Comfortably and confidently leading professional development and training
- Developing culturally responsive and/or social justice-focused arts projects
- Supporting and/or supervising other educators and/or artists
WHAT WE OFFER:
Competitive salary, health plan contributions, life insurance, long-term disability, and an employee assistance program. We also offer paid time off + a fun and flexible work environment.
Creative Action is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and equity in the workplace. We strongly encourage those who reflect the communities we serve to apply, including bilingual individuals and/or people of color.
Take some time to familiarize yourself with our organization, what we do, and what we believe in. You can find Spark Schools detailed here and an overview of School-Based programs here. If you would like to be considered for this job, please email your resume and a cover letter that addresses your interest and qualifications to Lynn Hoare at email@example.com. Posting will remain open until filled.