Grades 2nd-3rd | 15-25 Students Per Classroom | 5 One-Hour Sessions
Students learn respect for differences and receive enhanced literacy skills through an interactive, theatre-based adventure. Teaching artists bring a book to life, taking students on an imaginary, interactive, theatrical experience that fuels their critical and creative thinking skills. Through the program students increase their enthusiasm for reading and develop an understanding of diversity and respect for other cultures.
Goals & Outcomes
To provide second and third graders with opportunities to practice and improve literacy skills through collaborative learning and creative exploration; to provide teachers with new tools for teaching literacy.
After Journey Into the Story, students will:
- Increase their enthusiasm for reading
- Develop new ways to think about stories and characters
After Journey Into the Story, teachers will:
- See an increase in enthusiasm amongst their students around reading
- Learn and apply at least one of a series of arts education techniques to the classroom (i.e. hot seating, mantle of the expert, image work, thought bubbles, etc.)
- Report that students have discussed new ways to think about stories and story characters.
What will your students will learn?
- English / Language Arts
Themes and Skills
- Bilingual Learning
- Cultural Awareness
- Literacy & Reading
- Social & Emotional Literacy
- Writing Skills
- Critical Thinking