Creative Action AmeriCorps service members help provide critical high-quality after school care and summer learning programs to youth in the greater Austin area. Service members serve as educators and creatives at one of our many after school sites, playing an integral role in delivering hands-on, arts-based projects that support social and emotional development and 21st century skills.
Why serve with Creative Action?
- Contribute to a vibrant community of creatives and educators dedicated to increasing access to high-quality arts education for youth in our region.
- Gain awareness of and help to address social issues that face your community.
- Build hands-on project management and leadership experience.
- Increase your knowledge of service and engagement.
- Receive mentorship from professional arts educators, and participate in regular professional development opportunities around youth development.
- Reinforce your 21st century skill set necessary in the current and future workforce.
What needs would you help to address?
Youth and families in Central Texas have a critical need for affordable, accessible, high-quality after school and summer learning programs (also known as Out-of-School Time or “OST” programs) that help young people to be safe, supported, and school-ready. However, current after school and summer enrichment programs are not sufficient to meet the need among youth, families, and schools. As federal funding for OST programs has dwindled in Austin, demand for after school and summer care among working families rises (Austin ISD ACE, 2021). Additionally, low-income students and students of color in Central Texas are more likely to experience chronic absenteeism, not graduate in four years, and drop out, highlighting systemic inequities and opportunity gaps (E3 Alliance, 2021).
Creative Action’s OST programs address these critical needs by providing access to free and affordable, arts-based after school programs to 2,000+ youth in grades PreK-8th on 35+ campuses every year, as well as eight weeks of summer learning programs. The vast majority of youth we serve attend Title I, low-income schools or come from low-income families.
As an AmeriCorps member with Creative Action, you will serve at one of our after school sites each calendar school day (Monday-Friday), as well as participating in program preparation and logistics, professional development, and family and campus engagement activities. When Austin ISD schools are closed, you will also participate in professional development and/or service learning activities that support our work in the community. And, members will support our camps at schools and community sites during the summer months.
- Living allowance ranging from $26,400 to $30,000 – the amount is determined by your previous number of AmeriCorps service years.
- Education Award from the Corporation of National and Community Service of $6,345 to pay education costs at qualified institutions of higher education, for education training, or to repay qualified student loans.
- Health plan benefits.
- Monthly gas and phone stipend.
- Ongoing support and professional development from experienced educators and nonprofit leaders.