Photographed above is Capital Metro’s first electric, zero-emissions bus wrapped in artwork by students from Lee Lewis Campbell Elementary Media & Performing Arts Institute.
Art on the Bus Contest
Creative Action and Capital Metro are partnering together to educate young people about smart transit through the power of the arts.
Art on the Bus is an annual contest that gives one local public K-5th school the opportunity to showcase student art on an electric, zero-emissions bus! The application-based contest is open to all public elementary schools in Austin, Del Valle, Leander, and Manor Independent School Districts, and teachers and administrators are encouraged to apply on behalf of their school.
The selected campus will receive a 6-month partnership with Creative Action that includes:
- An in-school residency collaboration with Creative Action’s Staff Muralist and the school’s art teacher;
- Arts-integrated curriculum that meets dual learning objectives for students in K-5th grades;
- An opportunity for 3rd-5th grade students to create art that could be chosen for the electric bus wrap;
- A community unveiling of the electric bus adorned in student art; and
- $1,000 art supply stipend for the campus art teacher.
The contest is open through midnight on Friday, November 12th at which point the pool of applicants will be narrowed down to a single campus by a small panel of community judges.
All interested schools should to apply! Schools whose students have less access to arts programming are highly encouraged to apply, as are Title 1 schools.
To apply, complete the form below no later than November 30, 2021.
Application open to all public elementary schools in Austin, Del Valle, Leander, and Manor ISDs
Campus selection process
Announcement of selected campus
Kick-off meeting with selected campus
In January 2020, L.L. Campbell Elementary Media & Performing Arts Institute was the first campus to participate in Art on the Bus. Hear about their experience.